Mike Kocour's careful yet fearless choice of notes and intervals come from the deepest grotto of his heart...a breath of fresh air in an asphyxiating world. Listen to him - as I do.
Pianist Michael Kocour brings many gifts to this solo piano recording of gems from the Great American Songbook: melodic creativity, harmonic acuity, swinging rhythmic gait, supple technique, an elegant touch, and bell-like tone, ebullient spirit and refined taste. But lording over all these qualities is this meta truth: Kocour is a compelling storyteller whose playing reaches across the footlights, pulling listeners inside the music where magic happens on the fly. Each improvisation here reveals the cohesive scaffolding and clarity of a tightly constructed short story - while the natural flow of Kocour's phrasing contains myriad unexpected details that suggest subtle plot twists. Blink and you'll miss them.
1. East Of The Sun | Brooks Bowman 5:45
2. I've Got A Right To Sing The Blues | Harold Arlen 4:01
3. She's Funny That Way | Neil Moret 5:56
4. Sweet Lorraine | Cliff Burwell 6:00
5. Who Cares? | George Gershwin 4:35
6. Just One Of Those Things | Cole Porter 4:07
7. Come Rain Or Come Shine | Harold Arlen 3:53
8. I'm Coming Virginia | Donald Heywood 3:12
9. Star Dust | Hoagy Carmichael 5:22
10. I Can't Stop Loving You | Don Gibson 3:58
Michael Kocour - piano
Produced by Michael Kocour
Recorded by Michael Kocour at Jazz Immersion Mesa, AZ
(1, 3, 5, 7, 9) recorded June, 2018. (2, 4, 6, 8, 10) recorded in June, 2014.
Mixed by Clarke Rigsby at Tempest Recording, Tempe AZ
Mastered by Nathan James at Vault Mastering Studios Inc., Phoenix, AZ
Photography by Heather Landes
Cover design & layout by John Bishop