An album of straightforward jazz...
Saxophonist Cynthia Mullis releases her debut recording on OA2 Records entitled Inside Job featuring the outstanding Northwest rhythm section of Chris Spencer on guitar, Doug Miller on bass, and Steve Korn on drums. Rounding out the ensemble is Jeff Hay on trombone and Becca Duran on vocals. The CD features imaginative arrangements of jazz standards by Thelonious Monk, Billy Strayhorn and Dexter Gordon, as well as originals by Cynthia and Doug. Inspired by her experience in New York City and recorded in Seattle, the music is introspective yet upbeat and straight-ahead. The chemistry of the group is organic, creative, and exciting, and the musicianship is top-notch.
1. It Could Happen to You / Fried Bananas (Burke/Van Heusen/ Gordon) 4:07
2. Isfahan (Billy Strayhorn) 5:43
3. Dolores Street (Cynthia Mullis) 4:52
4. Inside Job (Cynthia Mullis) 6:44
5. Still Playin' It (Doug Miller) 6:53
6. Ask Me Now (Thelonious Monk) 6:02
7. If I Should Lose You Leo (Robbin/Ralph Rainger) 6:39
8. East of the Sun (Harold Ash) 7:07
9. Stepped Out (Cynthia Mullis) 2:53
10. I Thought About You (Jimmy Van Heusen/Johnny Mercer) 5:49
Produced by CYNTHIA MULLIS
Recorded at JACK STRAW STUDIOS, Seattle, WA, September 2001
Engineered by DOUG HAIRE
Mixed and mastered by DAVID PASCAL
Photos: JIMMY JOHNSEN (front), M. ANDREW CURRY (band),
CAROL CASTER (inside/back), CHENEY CROW (Becca)
Layout and design: JOHN BISHOP/OriginArts
Produced as part of a Jack Straw Productions Artist Support Program residency.
All Music Guide (Adam Greenburg)
An album of straightforward jazz from Cynthia Mullis, one of only a handful of capable female jazz instrumentalists on the scene (many opt to be jazz vocalists instead). Here, the Seattle jazzer grooves her way through ten songs; roughly half standards and half original compositions, both from her and from bassist Doug Miller. She switches between ...