In the same league as hipsters Mark Murphy, Mose Allison, and Bob Dorough...a well-done, fun album.
Northwest legend and former Los Angeles songsmith Paul West presents an album of his very original songs. Featuring bassist Jeff Johnson, the rarely heard Northwest great Mr. Ford Ramsey on piano, and a couple of beautiful arrangements by trombonist Bill Reichenbach with an all-star L.A. big band, "Lucky..." is alternately swingin', whacky, poignant, and always very personal.
1. Boo (Lyrics by Paul West, music by Mark Brown)
2. Welcome Little Girl (Paul West)
3. Married to the Blues (Paul West )
4. Donna Lee (Music by Charlie Parker, lyrics by Paul West)
5. If I Could Have My Way (Paul West)
6. 20th Century Fox (Paul West)
7. Spiders (Lyrics by Paul West, music by Mark Brown)
8. I Like You So Much Better (Than Anyone I Ever Loved Before) (Paul West)
9. I'm Just a Lucky So and So (Duke Ellington)
Paul West - piano and vocals
Photography by BOB PETERSON
Photo montage by GREG ERICKSON
Wardrobe by MARA WEST
Cover design & layout by JOHN BISHOP
All Music Guide (Dave Nathan)
In the same league as hipsters Mark Murphy, Mose Allison, and Bob Dorough, West Coast vocalist Paul West runs through a play list of familiar and original material, most of it with satirical themes. "Runs through" is the apt term, since there are only 27 and a half minutes of music on the CD. Given the rotating shifts in personnel, it's clear that ...